Saturday, November 28, 2009

#5 Worked with Major, too.

I didn't ride today, but after I got Gray to back up, yield his hindquarters, almost got the face me with "two eyes" thing... and kind of stiffly flexed.... I decided that there was a little daylight left and that I would try the ground work with Mike's horse, Major. (Was that a run on sentence, or what?)

I started with desensitizing him with the lead rope. He didn't flinch a bit as I flung it over his back, his withers, his neck and his legs. I did the same with the stick and string.... still the same unconcerned attitude. Then I did what I call the whackity whackity thing (which really amuses Kelly and Reba) and Major could have cared less. This is when you are doing figure eights with the stick and string over the horse's head and whacking it on the ground. He even flexed his neck to the point that he almost touched his side. If he didn't scare me a little when I ride him, I would take him to the clinic. Gray is 10 years older and much more set in his ways. However, if I can get him to do what I want, I guess I really will have learned something. Neither horse likes to back... and Clinton says that is one of the keys to getting good control of your horse.

Hopefully the weather won't keep me indoors tomorrow. I plan to do the sending lesson and try lunging the Gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Powered by Rollyo