Sunday, November 29, 2009

#6 Temperature muust have dropped 30 degrees....

It sure got cold today. I had to convince myself to at least do some ground work with the Gray. Turns out I am really glad that I did. He, for the first time, backed up when I tapped the stick in the direction of his nose... I was elated. Maybe we are starting to get the hang of it. He flexed better than ever, yielded his hindquarters pretty well, and then I tried just backing him up holding just below his halter. He knows how to do that, so no problem there.

You would think I would know when to quit while I am ahead. Of course not.... I had watched one of the clinic dvds and knew the next step would be to yield his forequarters. We are back to Gray not having a clue as to what I am trying to get him to do. However, I didn't get too discouraged. That seems to be our pattern. I'll study a bit more, and we'll get it tomorrow or the next day. I went back and repeated the things he had done well and turned him loose. The weather is supposed to be very cold over the next few days, so I expect that ground work is all we will get done. I'll take advantage of the bad weather and study the next steps in the ground work. Sending and lunging....

No comments:

Post a Comment


Powered by Rollyo